Friday, March 9, 2007

QUESTION: WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE THINGS?
(They are in my knitting bag, and I have no clue what they're for. I think they came in a "Teach Yourself to Crochet" kit, but I really can't remember that well.)

ANSWER:
(Thank you for the responses and kind messages.)
The consensus is that these are bobbins. You wind a different color of yarn on each bobbin. This way, when you're knitting with many different colors the yarn does not get tangled and messy.


I'm working on the toe for the second sock for SIL, so photos will be coming soon. Probably next week because hubby is going to run me around all weekend.

Here are some photos of socks that I've made. It's fun to watch my knitting progress.

The socks in the below picture were the first pair I made for myself. I actually made 2 pairs before these, but both were too short. So, I gave them away to people with smaller feet! This pair I was determined to make big enough. They are really probably 4 stitches too big, but I wear them over other socks. They are acrylic, which I don't think I'd use for socks again. They are very warm, but the acrylic can sometimes get sweaty. The colors have stayed bright, and they've held up great. The yarn was called Jiffy (sold at Jo Anns).

(Thanks to hubby for taking the photo of my feet!)


The brown socks were made for my hubby. (After watching me knit three pairs of socks, he was ready to enjoy some fruits of my labor!) You can see at this point I hadn't progressed to anything past a simple, plain vanilla sock pattern. I haven't made a pair of men's socks since! They take so much longer. :-( These socks were knit with Wool Ease. You can see that they are starting to get fuzzy, but that's partially my fault because I've washed and dryed repeatedly. (I'm going to start using better yarns and hand washing all of my handmade socks.)


Not Pictured: Beautiful green socks for my aunt for Christmas. They were knit following a broken rib pattern. It was the first time I followed a pattern all the way down the length of the socks. These really turned out nice...wish I had a picture.

The fair isle socks are the most challenging socks I've knit to date. Many firsts: first contrasting heel/toe, first salt and pepper pattern (heel), first fair isle knitting. One of the socks is tighter than the other, even though they have the same number of repeats. I think I carried the strands tighter in one of the socks. These were also knit with Wool Ease.


Obligatory cat photos:
(so precious)